What do I need to do?

After the Contract has been signed your main priority is to organise your finance, be that through a bank, a broker or if you have clear funds, making sure they will be available at settlement time. You will also need to take out insurance on the property and arrange for electricity, gas and phone connections Read more about What do I need to do?[…]

When can I collect the keys?

Usually straight after settlement. Settlement time is negotiated between the parties involved but ultimately is decided by the vendor’s mortgagee bank or the vendor if they have clear title. Keys can be collected from the Real Estate agent or, if buying an Off the Plan property, from the builder’s representative.

What about stamp duty, how does that get paid?

If you are obtaining a mortgage, the bank will usually pay the stamp duty and Land Titles Office lodgement fee from your loan funds. If you are providing all funds you will have to provide those fees on, or shortly after settlement and your Solicitor will lodge the documents on your behalf.