What is a Traffic Offence?

A traffic offence is any offence committed in a vehicle and given to you by the Victorian Police. Offences include speeding, drink driving, driving while suspended or disobeying road rules.

What happens if I commit a Traffic Offence?

You will be issued a notice by the police which may have a number of different requirements. Depending on the severity of the act involved, you may be arrested, you may be issued with a Summons to appear in court or you may be issued with an administrative letter requiring you to pay a fine.

Drink Driving Offences – Will I lose my licence?

Victoria has some of the strictest road laws in Australia, particularly when the offence involves drink driving. Drink driving offences in Victoria attract a mandatory period of licence suspension and these mandatory periods vary depending on the alleged blood alcohol reading and whether or not you have any previous history of drink driving. There are[…]

Speeding Offences – Can I keep my licence?

In determining the penalty that applies to speeding offences, the court will have regard to the speed you were travelling and the road conditions at the time. If you are alleged to have travelled more than 25km per hour over the speed limit then the alleged speed falls into the category of “excessive speeding”. A[…]

Will I have a criminal record?

Traffic offences are criminal offences and can result in you having a criminal record. Minor offences which are dealt with administratively will not attract a criminal conviction, although drink driving offences and excessive speeding offences may result in a criminal record.

I have been charged with driving while disqualified, what do I do?

Driving while disqualified is an incredibly serious offence and attracts harsh penalties. If you are charged with driving while disqualified you will be issued with a summons and be required to attend court. A first offence can attract a fine of up to $4,000 or 4 months imprisonment. A subsequent offence can result in a[…]

I have received a backlog of toll enforcement notices – what now?

It is a common situation when driving in or around Melbourne or interstate to drive on a toll road. Where you have failed to have a valid e-tag or e-pass for the trip, you may be issued with a toll notice, a toll reminder notice and then subsequent toll enforcement notices. Often you may have[…]

I have received an “Options Letter” from VicRoads – What do I do?

If you have incurred 12 or more demerit points within a 3 year period, VicRoads will send you an “Options Letter” asking you if you would like to enter into a demerit point bond, or whether you would prefer to immediately serve a 3 month licence suspension period. A demerit point bond allows you to[…]

Other traffic matters

If you have any other questions on traffic matters you should seek expert legal advice for your individual circumstances. This consult will allow you to know where you stand and whether you have any defences available to you.

What is a Will?

A Will is a legal document that sets out who you want to receive your assets after you pass away.